Enrolling my child at school

Depending on their age, children newly arrived in the Grand Duchy attend a public school at either the primary level (enseignement fondamental) or the secondary level, either classical or general (enseignement secondaire classique and enseignement secondaire général). If the parents so wish, however, children may be enrolled at an international or private school.

Primary education (enseignement fondamental) 

Children are enrolled at a public school through the education department or the secretariat of the municipality (commune) where the family is resident:

  • children aged 3: cycle 1 – early childhood education (éducation précoce) (optional) 
  • children aged 4 and 5: cycle 1
  • children aged from 6 to 11: cycles 2 to 4

The municipality records the personal information concerning the newly-arrived child and forwards it to the regional director, to the head of the school committee, and to the person in charge of the welcome classes (cours d’accueil).

In September 2016, the École Internationale de Differdange et d'Esch-sur-Alzette (EIDE) opened its doors. A public school open to all, offers French-, German- and English-speaking sections from the primary level right through to the European Baccalaureate (see ‘International offer’). The International School Michel Lucius is also offering English-speaking sections at the primary level.

Classical secondary education and general secondary education (enseignement secondaire classique and enseignement secondaire général) 

Recently arrived youngsters aged 12 or more are enrolled at school and guided in their choices by a specific reception unit (Cellule d’accueil scolaire pour élèves nouveaux arrivants - CASNA). In order to ascertain the suitable class and level of competencies of each child, the CASNA assesses his/her school achievements and knowledge of languages.  The following documents are required when attending the initial appointment at the CASNA:

  • identity papers or passport,
  • social security card,
  • school reports for the previous two years,
  • whenever possible, a copy of the residence certificate (certificat de résidence - to be requested from the municipality) or an attestation of having applied for international protection.

Reception unit for newly arrived pupils (Cellule d'accueil scolaire pour élèves nouveaux arrivants - CASNA)

International and private schools

A number of international and private schools offer other possibilities for schooling, including:

Last update