Support and guidance

In order to support families experiencing difficulties in their everyday life, several types of ambulant and stationary measures are available.

These measures are proposed by the Office national de l’enfance (ONE, National Office for Children), which, after assessing the family’s individual situation, will offer help and support adapted to the needs of the family. Most often, this support is provided by one of the ONE’s service providers.

After contacting the ONE, which can provide partial or complete funding for these measures, families are guided towards the providers who best meet their needs.

Ambulatory measures

Support by an Intervention Project Coordinator

Do you feel overwhelmed by your family situation? You want to change this situation, but you do not know where to start?

An Intervention Project Coordinator (coordinateur de projet d’intervention, CPI) can help you implement support measures tailored to your needs. CPIs are professionals (psychologists, social workers and social pedagogues) employed by the Office national de l’enfance (ONE, National Office for Children).

Support through social and family assistance

Are you unable to manage the daily tasks of family life ? A social and family assistance can help you to better deal with daily household work until your family situation has improved.

This assistance can also be requested to support you temporarily, following a major change in your life situation, e.g. the birth of a baby, separation of the couple, illness of the spouse or death.

Support through psychological, social or educational assistance in the family

Your children don’t obey anymore? You experience difficulties finding your place as a parent? You don’t know how to set limits or show your support for your children?

Psychological, social or educational assistance can help you get the solutions to the educational needs (find agreements, set rules, be consistent) and the emotional needs (show love and affection, provide a feeling of safety and protection) of children and adolescents.

This assistance designed for families is also available for families and young people in their daily organisation (supporting needs, care, structure and rituals) and determines the tasks and duties of every family member. This can help improve the family situation so that every member is able to find his or her place in the family.

Psychological or psychotherapeutic counselling

Your children are going through a difficult time? They are not feeling comfortable in their own skin? Their relations with the family, siblings or with third parties are complicated?

Psychological counselling or psychotherapy measures may help them overcome their relationship and behavioural difficulties.

The psychological counselling or psychotherapy services provide a first session free of charge and may request some financial participation thereafter.

Support through early years special education, psychomotricity, occupational therapy or speech therapy

Your baby cries a lot and does not sleep at night ? Your child has difficulties to get dressed alone or eat without help? He or she seems clumsy and is frequently agitated or else is too quiet? He or she seems to have difficulties to develop speech and writing skills?

An early support through special education, psychomotricity, occupational therapy or speech therapy can help to meet the individual needs of your child, to guide the child’s development and so prevent him or her from dropping out of school and society.


For further information on ambulatory measures:

Stationary measures

Some difficult situations such as illness or hospitalisation can prevent parents from taking care of their child temporarily or for a long time.

During this period, the child can be welcomed and supported appropriately either at a reception centre or in a foster family.

Stationary measures include the following reception types:

  • priority placement for situations of urgent psychological and social crisis;
  • reception of children under 3 years of age;
  • basic social and educational, special education or psychotherapeutic care in institutions;
  • reception in a framed accommodation formula;
  • supervised housing placement (Service logement en milieu ouvert, SELMO);
  • socio-educational care in specialized institutions abroad;
  • social and educational care in foster family;
  • social and educational daytime care in a special education or psychotherapeutic foster care environment.


For further information on stationary measures:


Last update